Chances are that when you think of a shed, the first thing that comes to mind is “storage.” In fact, often, the two words are used almost synonymous. And while sheds make a great storage area, that is definitely not the only way to utilize these versatile structures.
A finished shed opens up a whole world of possibilities for your backyard building. Let’s get into it and see what truly can be done with a shed that has a finished interior.
Finished Sheds: What Are They?
So let’s start with the basics. A finished shed is simply a shed that has the interior trimmed out. This usually includes insulation, a covering on the walls, and lights and electrical outlets. But can also include other add-ons like plumbing and climate control for your specific location, as well as furniture and decorations to personalize your finished shed.
Finished Sheds: How To Finish A Shed
DIY: Most sheds are built for storage and not with a finished interior, so not all shed builders even offer a finished shed package. Due to this, a lot of people choose to finish out the interior of their shed as a DIY project. While this takes some construction experience and a decent amount of time, it is a viable option and can be accomplished if you are willing to put in some hours and sweat.
PACKAGE: If you don’t feel comfortable with the construction required to do it yourself, purchasing a shed with a completed interior package is a viable option. And while the interior finish package varies with each builder, most will include the basics like insulation, some electrical options, and probably a plywood or soffit board panel to cover the walls.
Finished Sheds: 7 Uses & Ideas
There are a lot of ways to utilize a shed with a finished shed home interior. And below, you’ll find the most popular uses for a finished shed.
Disclaimer: While our sheds are built to the highest standards with quality materials, they are not designed for full-time living. The regulations vary, but many townships do not allow tiny homes or sheds to be used as full-time living quarters. Check with your local township before investing in a shed with a finished interior.
- Home Interior: Finishing out your shed with a typical home interior opens up the possibility of using your shed as a spare guest room or practically any other type of room you can dream of.
- Tiny Home: Tiny homes and minimalist living has become vogue in recent years, and turning your shed into your own tiny home has never been easier.
- Art Studio: Whether you are into art, music, pottery, or another simple hobby or occupation, having your personal studio in your backyard could transform your hobby and your life.
- Personal Gym: Are you tired of daily trips to the gym, or maybe you don’t even have access to one? Transform your backyard shed into a finished shed persona gym. Make sure to have plenty of floor support if you plan to add some heavy-weight workout equipment!
- Small Home Office: In today’s world of working remotely or running a hybrid schedule, having a personal home office is a game changer. And turning a finished shed into a home office is actually as easy as moving in a desk and plugging in your internet.
- She Sheds: Maybe one of the most popular finished shed uses is the iconic she shed. Pick your favorite shed style, finish the inside, then paint and decorate to your heart’s content.
- Man Caves: Every guy dreams of having his own spot to make his own. Welcome to the backyard shed converted into a man cave. With endless possibilities, you’ll be sure to love the result when you are in control of the interior design!
Finished Shed: Colorado Shed Interior Package
When you invest in a Colorado Shed Company building with the interior package, you’ll get not only a top-of-the-line shed but also a finished interior that gives you a blank slate with countless opportunities to create the finished shed of your dreams.
- Electrical Package: 4 outlets, LED ceiling lights, an outside box with (2) 15 amp breakers that come plug-in-ready.
- Walls and Ceiling Batt Insulation, R13 value.
- Prodex floor insulation, R16 value.
- Interior Walls: Soffit Board Panels – painted one color.
- Flooring: Waterproof Vinyl Plank
We do not offer the following:
- Climate Control
The cost of the typical shed interior finish from Colorado Shed Company is approximately $3,000-$6,000, depending on the size of the shed. Contact us for a free quote and to find out more about our shed interior package.
*Disclaimer: Our sheds are not designed or approved as living spaces.
Finished Sheds: Styles
The styles of sheds used as a “finished shed” will depend on your personal style. That is what makes a finished shed such a great choice. And here at Colorado Shed Company, we offer a wide range of incredible shed options. Whether you are looking for that traditional barn-style shed or a more classy and futuristic style, you can find your preferred style and get the Colorado Shed Interior Finish package to top it off.
The Gable Shed
The Gable Shed is a great choice for any situation. This is a straightforward building without a lot of bells and whistles, but it gives you a simple, clean-looking shed. Include our porch package with this shed to give yourself a bit of protection from the weather. This also is an inviting way to finish the front of your shed, whether it's a storage shed or she shed or home office.
The Barn Style Shed
The Barn Style Shed showcases the traditional gambrel-style roof that provides extra headroom and even room for a loft for extra space. Add a porch to your lofted barn shed, creating a lovely and unique look for your shed. It also finishes the front of your building and makes it a welcoming entrance if you want to turn your shed into your art studio, office, or man cave.
The Tack Room Shed
The Tack Room Shed is an ode to the wild west and the history of Colorado. The unique design includes a 2’ overhang over the door. This provides a bit of protection from the elements as you go about your day. While this is a great tack room, don’t let the name fool you, this makes a great finished shed for whatever you choose to use it for.
The Studio Gable Shed
The Studio Gable Shed is designed to look incredible. Over the door, you’ll find a dormer with extra windows that allow in lots of natural light. When you are looking for a finished shed to convert into your home office or craft studio, the Studio Gable shed will not let you down.
Other Options: Dreamwood Cabins
Colorado Shed Company is now offering the stunning Dreamwood Cabins as part of their building lineup. These cabins are licensed by the Colorado Department of Housing and built to code.
While these cabins are definitely not a shed, they provide you with a small house or tiny home option that comes completely ready to move into!
Finished Sheds: Conclusion
Finishing the interior of your shed is a great way to add value to your backyard design. Just remember, sheds are not designed to be lived in, so check your local regulations before installing a finished shed.
But the options are endless; whether it's a tiny home, home office, or other use, a finished shed is definitely something you should consider. Start designing your finished shed in our 3D design tool, or contact us for more information.